No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: reseting 60/12

hey guys, I have a quick question.

We have a director server and a shoretel 60/12 at one of our remote sites. We have lost communications with the site as there are some upgrades going on, and there won't be any internet access for another 2 weeks.

My dealer wants me to have one of the guys onsite reset the 60/12 (by holding down the reset button on the front for 15 seconds) as he feels this will solve a few of the little problems they are having out there.

My concern is that as far as the dealer is concerend as long as the switch gets and ip address through DHCP after it's reset, it should link up with the server and not need any further configuration for the switch itself aside from what the director server is capable of doing, but am hesitent to have my guys do that if this is not the case; and have them without landline communications for the 2 week period where no internet is available.

thanks,

First off ...

In most case's the switch is setup with a static IP address , I guess if it was setup for dhcp I would assume the local director server is the dhcp server in which case should not be an issue.

Perhaps you should query your dealer on that as well as weigh the "little" problems you mention with worse case perhaps.

But reseting a switch should norm. not be an issue to be concerned about.

Hope that helps a little...

Dave

Originally posted by junkiee View Post
    hey guys, I have a quick question.

We have a director server and a shoretel 60/12 at one of our remote sites. We have lost communications with the site as there are some upgrades going on, and there won't be any internet access for another 2 weeks.

My dealer wants me to have one of the guys onsite reset the 60/12 (by holding down the reset button on the front for 15 seconds) as he feels this will solve a few of the little problems they are having out there.

My concern is that as far as the dealer is concerend as long as the switch gets and ip address through DHCP after it's reset, it should link up with the server and not need any further configuration for the switch itself aside from what the director server is capable of doing, but am hesitent to have my guys do that if this is not the case; and have them without landline communications for the 2 week period where no internet is available.

thanks,

Comment

currently the switch has a static IP address, and the DHCP server resides on a cisco router onsite. I was just wondering that if the switch was reset to defaults, that it would grab an ip address through DHCP and not need any configuration as there isn't anyone onsite that can configure it at this time, and the communication lines that deliver internet to the site won't be up for a little while; and I didn't want to instruct someone onsite to reset it unless I was sure that the phones lines wouldn't be down until we had internet onsite to remotely configure the switch.

thanks,

Comment

What problems are you having?

Comment

I am not entirely sure, this is a discussion between the phone tech, and our dealer; I am only going on what I was told was to happen, and I had some concernes... the main problem that I know about are dropped calls, and the dealer wants the switch reset.

Comment

If this is a remote site with a DVM and it's lost connectivity to the HQ, you need to be careful with restarting switches and DVMs.

If you restart the DVM, you are completely hosed. The DB is only held in memory and will stop functioning on reboot.

As far as restarting the switch, that won't neccessarily resolve dropped calls. It depends on the nature of how the call is being dropped.

Is it on internal calls or external calls or both?

Comment

seems to be on external only... the director server and the switch are on the same network, and not talking about rebooting the switch, but holding down the reset button to reset it to factory.

regards,

Comment

Ah this is a standalone site with a HQ.

If you factory reset it the switch, the IP will likely change from it's current IP (because it will be DHCP). If it is on the same subnet, Director will be able to detect it. If the IP changes, you'll need to re-add the switch into Director.

That really isn't going to solve a problem though. That will just wipe the configuration variables on the switch (IP, subnet, gw, and ftp server). If you think there is a software problem, you need to burnflash the switch.

This could also be a network or PSTN issue as well.

Comment

great thanks for the advice; my main concern was just leaving the guys onsite without any phone connectivity after the switch was reset. We have a crew going out there in a month to resolve the phone issue, as it's not the network, but might be PSTN related.

thanks,

Comment

Working...
                  X