Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Packet Loss from within a LAN

We have 1 HQ site and 4 Remote Sites with our Shoretel system. The Remote Site I work from has both a DVM server and a Contact Center server. To my knowledge no network engineering changes have been made recently but I've been seeing event ID 119 reporting excessive packet loss between a few of our Shoretel switches and either the DVM or the Contact Center server from within our LAN.

We are Build 6.1, 11.15.5300 of Shoretel. We have Spanning Tree shut off on the switchports that our switches and DVM/CC servers are plugged into. We have our voice VLAN'ed on our cisco switches so that its seperate from our Data traffic. This didn't start happening until a week or so ago.

Anything else I should be checking?
    Last edited by dsirek; 05-13-2009, 04:47 AM.

Could be a number of things occuring on the LAN. Are you using any network monitoring software?

Comment

I've run Wireshark on the VLAN and I'm not seeing any packet flooding coming from any rogue device.

Comment

If you've never seen the packet loss messages before and nothings changed. Check to see if one of the servers or both lost ethernet link and renegotiated either speed or duplex to something different than what the switch has.

Are you hearing users reporting poor quality calls?

Comment

Thanks I'll recheck that. I haven't heard any voice quality issues come up lately. I just thought it was weird that we are getting packet loss from within our LAN when the switches and servers are on the same VLAN.

Comment

We never had this issue till we upgraded to 8.1. We have never had a user complain, but they errors are there. I can't find any common issues and everything works, so I learned to ignore the errors.

Comment

I checked the NIC on both servers, both are negotiated at 100 MB/Full Duplex.

Comment

Then I would ignore. If/when you call support they will focus on it to the exclusion of the real problem but if no one is complaining about quality then I would ignore.

In the past there were a few releases where these errors were produced incorrectly. This is a 'known issue'.

Comment

Interesting. We STARTED with 8.x CR release (never a 7.5 user) and we've seen this, plus all the other issues on the forums now, ever since the CR release. I have opened up tons of tickets with Shoretel TAC that have the exact same issues that people are now reporting. PCM not playing the correct voice mail, softphone not connecting, faxes failing a lot, and the error 119 messages.

So in our environment, I get the error 119 message emailed to me every day. One thing that I found interesting, the message ONLY crops up against a version 2 switch (T1 or 24port Analog), never a version 3 switch (SG50 or T1K switch.) I opened a ticket with Shoretel and told them that I'm only getting the error between V.2 switches or endpoints to a V.2 switch. They gave me the run-around about our network, QoS, etc. Never got any solution, our QoS is tight. Even goofier, the error 119 is usually to a switch that ONLY has fax machines on it, so a phone would never really be loosing packets to this switch as the users would never place a call to the extension on this switch since it's just a fax machine.

Like you, I have NEVER had a user complain about call quality. I have run media statistics reports, and our jitter is almost always 0, and packet loss is 0. So obviously the error is NOT call related but something else. I think it is more "administrative" related traffic if that makes sense. Unfortunately I'm now numb to the error 119 messages and pretty much ignore them now.

Hope this helps. I'd be curious if your error 119 messages are always to version 2 switches?

Comment

Don't worry about those error messages, its a known issue. They just don't acknowledge it. The issue started with us after 8.0, we now are running 9.0 and the issue still persists. I have a test network setup that just runs ShoreTel for testing purposes and we even get the error on that network.

Comment

We were able to resolve this internally. It was a mixed bag of issues. There was a problem with one of our core Cisco switches, we ended up rebooting it to clear the problem. Also the time was off between our firewalls that was causing some issues with our VPN tunnels across our WAN (we were seeing excessive packet loss between sites as well). Now that we've corrected both issues, Shoretel is back to normal!

Comment

Working...
                      X