Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • VPN Site To VPN SITe Calls No VOICE

    Hellllllo All,

    Ok for about 4 years we have had a shoretel system installed in our company, we have 4 remote sites that are linked back to the company using Sonicwall tz180w VPN to a Sonicwall Pro 2040, we used to make VPN to VPN site calls with some packet loss but no real problem, we recently switched to Fios internet at the company and two of 4 VPN sites, i am not sure when the problem started but at some point we lost the ability to do SIte to SIte VPN calls, what i mean by this is if i am at home and i pick up my shoretel phone and dial Bob's extention that is at his house it will ring and BUT when he picks it up there is no voice path, he can not hear me and i can not hear him.. But the phone will ring and act normal, now if i am at the company and call bobs home extention it will ring and i will be able to talk to him but Not from VPN to VPN, i checked our firewall and intrusion prevention and it apears that the calls are not being blocked...


    ANY IDEAS ?

    One other thing we recently changed our Company IP Range from a 192 to
    162.39.69.x
    255.255.128.0
    162.39.69.x

    :boat:

  • #2
    Seeing as you have done two things at the same time

    aka ISP change and IP change, there are a few items you will have to check,

    First Calling Ext to Ext on the Same site Works Correct?
    If yes then nothing wrong with phones or SHoretel

    Next If Ext to Ext on Same Remote Site works?
    Then nothing wrong with Phones or ShoreTel

    If No way Voice path you will need to validate the following

    1: ISP is not blocking ports 5004 if MGCP is Used
    2: ISP is not blocking ports 5060 if SIP is Used
    3: ISP is supporting UDP
    4: Routes are configured correctly on your core and Tunnels to properly see all IP ranges
    5: Gateways and Subnet masks are correctly configured

    I guarantee you this is not a ShoreTel issue, IT IS A CONFIGURATION ISSUE. I have attached the ports needed for ShoreTel to work

    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      You switched your internal addressing from the private range to a publicly routable range?

      Comment


      • #4
        tytrophen - The way phone calls work on the Shoretel is that the switch will individually contact each phone and then the phones start sending RTP to each other directly.

        The best way to test this is to just ping the remote users phone from your location. I bet 100 bucks it won't work, because I bet there isn't a route in the VPN router in either location that says "If I'm looking for 10.10.11.x, send it across the VPN".

        For example:
        Remote Location 1 (RL1) 10.10.11.x> VPN > Central Office (CO) 10.10.10.x> VPN > Remote Location 2 (RL2) 10.10.12.x

        You are in RL1 and calling a phone at RL2. You pick up and dial. Your phone contacts the CO switch, which then contacts the phone at RL2. Then RL1 phone directly starts sending media to RL2.

        Now, your VPN router at RL1 already has a route that says, "any traffic destined for 10.10.10.x should go across the VPN". It probably DOESN'T have a route that says "any traffic destined for 10.10.12.x should also go across the VPN". You need a similar route at both RL's. This is why you are working calling from either RL to the CO and back, but not from RL1 to RL2. Since you've recently changed IP addresses, I'm guessing it's a simple matter of adjusting the old rules to match the new IP addresses.

        Comment


        • #5
          If I may I need to make some clarification.

          On an Ext to Ext call the SG is foirst used tolocate the Ext A to Ext B, Once connection is made it is as you said a PEER to PEER connection and RTP under UDP will then proceed as well as the Full MGCP Signaling (Unless SIP IS USED its SIP)

          Pinging an IP address is just to validate that a said Address is actually alive, It is the bottom Layer of the OSI model that responds. It is a good test to validate if indeed a IP address is seen on the Network, but a response does not indicate that it is actually a phone responding.

          In this case he states that calls are indeed ringing but NO VOICE PATH. So the IP address of each phone will be seen (Aka Call Setup)

          Since RTP is not being sent each way this indicates
          1. A port issue
          2. A routing issue
          3. both


          Since the IP structure of the network as been changed, guaranteed that the issue is Configuration. The ShoreTel sits on top of the Network, not inside, it is totally defendant on Network configuration. So Netmasks, Gateways and Routes should all be confirmed starting at the lowest level (Aka phones, SG's then Network appliances)

          Originally posted by jasonepowell View Post
          tytrophen - The way phone calls work on the Shoretel is that the switch will individually contact each phone and then the phones start sending RTP to each other directly.

          The best way to test this is to just ping the remote users phone from your location. I bet 100 bucks it won't work, because I bet there isn't a route in the VPN router in either location that says "If I'm looking for 10.10.11.x, send it across the VPN".

          For example:
          Remote Location 1 (RL1) 10.10.11.x> VPN > Central Office (CO) 10.10.10.x> VPN > Remote Location 2 (RL2) 10.10.12.x

          You are in RL1 and calling a phone at RL2. You pick up and dial. Your phone contacts the CO switch, which then contacts the phone at RL2. Then RL1 phone directly starts sending media to RL2.

          Now, your VPN router at RL1 already has a route that says, "any traffic destined for 10.10.10.x should go across the VPN". It probably DOESN'T have a route that says "any traffic destined for 10.10.12.x should also go across the VPN". You need a similar route at both RL's. This is why you are working calling from either RL to the CO and back, but not from RL1 to RL2. Since you've recently changed IP addresses, I'm guessing it's a simple matter of adjusting the old rules to match the new IP addresses.

          Comment


          • #6
            Working !!!

            It turned out some one was messing with my Firewall settings trying to get a SLING Box to work from one of the remote VPNS back to the company network and had turned off the rules allowing the SHoretel phones to talk to one another from one VPN tunnel to another.. retards! but i finally found it thanks to the port info that was posted THANKS GUYS!!

            One other thing the new Shoretel Messaging system do i have to have a Domain in order to use it ? dose OSC require a domain?

            When is shoretel going to build in Cameras into the phones! ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Glad you were able to figure it out and get it working :w00t:

              In Regards to the ShoreTel Messaging, are you referring to Instant Messaging?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jlorenz View Post
                Glad you were able to figure it out and get it working :w00t:

                In Regards to the ShoreTel Messaging, are you referring to Instant Messaging?


                Yes i am.. Would love to get the messaging and video upgrade:beta1:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tytrophen View Post
                  Yes i am.. Would love to get the messaging and video upgrade:beta1:
                  What ever the requirements are for the install, this was just hitting the streets as I left ST. So I have no practical experiance but to say Follow the Application Notes to the Letter "Do Not Deviate"

                  ShoreTel App notes are normally pretty spot on, unless the installer takes liberties 99.9999% following the app note to the letter will work

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X