Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.1 Voice Quality is poor compared to 7.5

I upgraded from 7.5 to 8.1 two weeks ago. Since then the Inter and Intra site calls have suffered from poor voice quality. I have tried everything from setting the codecs to pure PCMU/8000 to using the High Bandwidth options with very little difference in call quality.

I also tried to force a phone firmware update by using the Mute,73738# key combo all with no luck. Are phones are mostly the 230 model. We currently have the Medium Badwidth codec in use and the voice quality is lousy compared to 7.5. Looking at teh log for inter-site calls they are being negotiated on the g722 codec.

Does anyone have any ideas? My users are really annoyed. It is hard to explain why we did and "upgrade" and ended up downgrading their service.:cursing:

Create a new codec for intra-site calls and add the following codecs in this order:

L16/8000
    G722/8000
    PCMU/8000

Make sure you assign the codec to the appropriate sites.

Inter-site you can play with but we typically implement just PCMU/8000.

Comment

Thanks Chris for the reply but it didn't help. After the 8.1 upgrade the voice quality has degraded (mostly a "tinny" sound or lack of bass) and the speaker phone picks up all kinds of background (white noise) sounds and echo.

Comment

Interesting.... Might be something else going on. Tough to say without looking at your system.

Comment

Codec

Sure sounds like the codec list is not being applied.

After an upgrade to 8.1 here, everyone comlpained of the "tinny" sound. We changed the codec to pcmu/8000 and the problem went right away.

are you 100% sure that you are applying the codec list?

Comment

I struggled with the codec arrangements and audio quality also. Sound quality should be resolved with wideband/linear codecs. I posted previously on this: http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums....html#post6876
            Last edited by tom_porter; 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM. Reason: posted old config info.

Comment

something to try

A suggestion would be to use a softphone and wireshark then make a call capture the packets. Then go back and see what codec was negotiated this well tell the whole story. But I agree with all the others codec's is your problem brother.

Comment

Below is the entry from the Shoretel log file on a call between two phones with only the PCMU/8000 codec configured. I assume the ULaw refers to the PCMU/8000 (G711). These phones are obviously in the same subnet and site. It doesn't matter if ther are on the same switch or different. The problem really occurs on speaker phones rather than handsets.

7:03:36.305 ( 2636: 6632) G-MST: 20000014 "00030000-029f-49a5-cf7b-001049096189" ("172.16.38.108","172.16.38.110"),2(ULaw),rsn:1,14 :03:12.505 (UTC),pl:20,(s:1169, r:1169, l:0),(j:0,u:0,o:0) "sip:[email protected]:5441",vpn:0

Comment

We had the same problem, we were also having issues with fax and modem calls as well, we found that the Shoretel has a hard time with codecs, We set the shoretel to only use PCMU/8000 for all calls.
                  What data switches are you using? we had to change the configs there as well.

Comment

Poor Call Quality upgrade from v7.5 to v8.1

20090731;
                    Upgraded from v7.5 to v8.1
                    ==========================
                    ->Call Control
                    ->Codel Lists

Create a new codec for [Intra-site Codec] calls and add the following codecs in this order:

L16/8000
                    G722/8000
                    PCMU/8000

->Sites
                    Choose this new Codec for Intra-Site Calls.

Worked Great! Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ous00ner View Post
                      Thanks Chris for the reply but it didn't help. After the 8.1 upgrade the voice quality has degraded (mostly a "tinny" sound or lack of bass) and the speaker phone picks up all kinds of background (white noise) sounds and echo.
                      We have the same issue, but running 9.1 and just upgraded from an old Telrad system...what was the fix for you? was it a codec change?

Comment

Have you rebooted your phones after you made changes to your codec list? You will not see a change until after you reboot your phones.

Comment

haven't changed anything yet...just wanted to ensure that the codec is the issue for most for our symptoms and changing the codec was the fix for most of you all...

Thanks!

Comment

Everyone, including me, noticed a change after upgrading from 7.5 to 8.1. Intra-site calls seemed more crisp.....almost too crisp and clear. At first everyone complained about it. I tried exactly what people are saying in this post, and that fixed my problem. When I finally got around to making the changes permanent, everyone was already used to the sound of the new codec and stopped complaining.....go figure.

Comment

Originally posted by tkilmer View Post
                              Have you rebooted your phones after you made changes to your codec list? You will not see a change until after you reboot your phones.
                              Actually, this is inaccurate. The changes take place immediately (replication of changes permitting in larger sites) unless you are on an active call (the changes will then take place on the next call).

Comment

Working...
                              X