No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call transfer ends up on hold

Hi all,

I have a strange problem I can't figure out. If you start a consultative transfer then hang up before the person you called answers you end up with two calls on hold. Imagine this scenario....

1. Make / Receive a call
    2. Press transfer
    3. Dial extension number and wait for it to ring (don't press transf or conslt)
    4. Hang up before the person answers

In this scenario you end up with two calls on hold until the person answers or you pick the calls up from hold. I also get similar results if you perform a transfer in PCM by pressing transfer (as opposed to no thanks) when you call someone while already on a call.

What does work is the following.....

1. Make / Receive a call
    2. Press transfer
    3. Dial extension number
    4. Press trasnfr before the timeout set in IP Phones / Options

Is there any reason for this behaviour or do you have to blind transfer by pressing the transfr button? As mentioned earlier you get the same kind of behaviour in PCM where both calls are placed on hold.
    Thanks in advance.

Hold

That sounds like a bug. Ours completes the consultative transfer after you hang up. It does not change the caller ID information until AFTER the person picks up the call however...........

What version are you on? Probably time for a new build.

Comment

We are on the latest build of 8.1 but we have seen it on previous builds.

The blind txfer works when we press 'transfr' before the time out (after dialling the number you want to txfer to), but if you wait until the phone starts to ring then hang up both calls get put on hold. Can you replicate this scenario?

Comment

Hold

We do a ton of transfers by starting a transfer and hanging up. There are a several threads around on this board about requesting that once a transfer is started, and the phone is hung up, that the transfer should become blind immediately.

The scenario you describe should work. What model phones are you using?

Sounds like a bug to me.

we are on 13.10.4203.0

i called my desk from my cell phone. Hit transfer, dialed another desks extension, and waited. I then hung up without hitting any softkeys. The remote phone rang until it went to voicemail (always showed MY internal caller ID as the calling party, not my cell phone though)...........

Comment

It's not a BUG, it's by design.

Transfer is a 3 step process.
          Step 1: What do you want to do? TRANSFER
          Step 2: Who do you want to do it to? EXTENSTION #
          Step 3: How do you want to do it? BLIND or CONSULTIVE

If you only do Step 1 and step 2, and then hang-up,It defualts to consultive, the same as if you didn't select anything at all and the call will continue till somebody picks up on the other end and the call is force transfered.

You will also notice that the caller ID is not forwarded when doing this, it appears that the extension transfering is the one calling the end user, and it doesn't display the outside caller id until the transfer is completed. (because technically, it's a consultive transer).

I always teach end users to transfer using the 3 step method.

Charles

Comment

Transfer

Charles,

i was using his post as an opportunity to complain about the CID. He didnt really care about that part. I personally still think that is a bug (if the person hangs up, there is no one to consult, so therefore the act of hanging up should become a "blind" transfer).

Anyway, his users were actually ending up on hold, and not transferring at all.........

Comment

What? A bug in 8.1? Surely you are joking!

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
                Charles,

i was using his post as an opportunity to complain about the CID. He didnt really care about that part. I personally still think that is a bug (if the person hangs up, there is no one to consult, so therefore the act of hanging up should become a "blind" transfer).

Anyway, his users were actually ending up on hold, and not transferring at all.........
                Well this debate has been run through many times. The system is working exactly as documented so we can't call it a bug, but it is extremely poor design since it goes against the intuition and expectation of almost every user...

I think that the orriginal poster was talking about this behavior from the perspective of the transferor, they will see two calls on hold until the transferee answers. The transferee sees the transferor's CID until they answser, this is were the question ussually comes from.

I understood from the original post that the transfer would complete with the transferee answered.

Since almost every user expects a different behavior than what we have, this seems to be a great candidate for redesign at ShoreTel, but I've never had a prospect ask me if this is how transfer works or not, they have asked me if we have AD integration, twinning, SIP extensions... I do see why ShoreTel aren't putting developement resources into the transfer behavior, but it would be great if they would.

Comment

Originally posted by jlear View Post
                  I think that the orriginal poster was talking about this behavior from the perspective of the transferor, they will see two calls on hold until the transferee answers. The transferee sees the transferor's CID until they answser, this is were the question ussually comes from.
                  That is exactly right.

Comment

Transfer

then that is indeed how it was "designed" to work.

Some would argue that a kindergarten child designed it however............

Comment

Working...
                    X