Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call Manager and Proxy server

We have a proxy server for our internet connections to limit websites, etc. that people can go to when browsing the net. So, in Internet Options, you go to Connections, Lan Settings then either have Automatically Detect settings checked (provided you have the appropriate DNS entry) or check "Use a proxy setting..." at the bottom and enter your proxy's IP address. But, you also must go into the exceptions list and enter the IP addresses of the HQ and DVM servers plus the DNS entry (if you have one) of the HQ server.

All of my shoretel stuff is internal to my network... different subnets, as each branch has its own subnet, but nothing ever leaves the 192.168.x network.

Why if we don't enter the proxy exceptions does the Call Manager software not work (this applies to computers, TS/ Citrix server users, etc.)? What good reason is there for the Call Manager to even need any access to IE, which is where the Internet Options are used?? I can't think of any relevant, and good, reason to have any Shoretel software going to the proxy settings AT ALL. If a Shoretel admin or whomever could please provide me some explanation for this I'd love to hear it. To me, it seems like it was an issue way back in the day that this was the simplest fix and has never been engineered appropriately to remove this flakiness.

Please enlighten me. Feel free to contact if you'd like - 865-680-2353. My name is John.

In Shoretel 7.5 and earlier, the Shoretel Softphone is an ActiveX control loaded from a special web page on the Voice Mail server. I do not know why Shoretel chose this method, but this is why it fails to work with your proxy.

Comment

As another note, I'm not sure if you were talking about PCM or about the softphone component only, but if PCM is not working as a whole then the second part of the answer is: Shoretel uses http to communicate with the server to perform tasks such as retrieving the system directory, changing call handling mode, etc. Personally, I find this to be a pretty good idea, especially if they would use a standard format such as SOAP. Unfortunately, they use their own proprietary messaging.

Comment

Working...
      X