Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker phone call quality

During calls between our facilities we often hear “cricket” type feedback during the call when using speaker phone on both ends. We are using Shoretel IP230 Phones at all locations. I don’t think we are having bandwidth issues and this problem tends to occur fairly randomly. Any idea on where to troubleshoot?

Crickets

Vinegar and water kills crickets.

What codec are you using for inter-site calls?

I assume the crickets are quiet if one or both ends are on the handset and not the speakerphone?

Comment

Codes:
      Intra-Site - High Bandwidth Codes
      Inter-Site - Low Bandwidth Codes

We don't notice the crickets when using the handsets but will here them randomly on calls between sites while using speaker phones.

Comment

I get that complaint a lot here too. Any suggestions?

Comment

This isn't Blackberry interference is it?

Comment

That's the codec. It's Linear Broadband that causes that noise. Create a custom codec list with the following in it in this order and apply to the site:

L16/8000
            G722/8000
            PCMU/8000

Comment

Did this work for you bdobosz?

Comment

worked for me!!!

my lowest inter-site bandwith is upload 700kbps and its a voice and data access for a 10 people office.

Comment

Originally posted by Mundotel View Post
                  worked for me!!!

my lowest inter-site bandwith is upload 700kbps and its a voice and data access for a 10 people office.

For inter-site, you can use PCMU/8000 (G.711) or G.729a depending on the number of calls you want to push across. G.711 is toll-quality.

Comment

I have this occurring between offices where 1 of the offices has about 30 people and a T1 connection. The other office is 10MB ethernet, both on an MPLS network. The 30 person site is running Very Low Bandwidth Codecs, G729/8000 and PCMU/8000.

Comment

Worked for us too! Thanks.

Comment

Not Quite Resolved

I have a similar issue only it is within the building and playing with the CODECS does not resolve the problem. The effects can be mitigated by turning down the volume, but the chirp does not entirely go away. We have eliminated background noise as the issue. Also the chirping seems most noticeable when someone is speaking, it fades (and possibly even disappears) when there is silence and no input to the phone.

Any Ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by blanning View Post
                          I have a similar issue only it is within the building and playing with the CODECS does not resolve the problem. The effects can be mitigated by turning down the volume, but the chirp does not entirely go away. We have eliminated background noise as the issue. Also the chirping seems most noticeable when someone is speaking, it fades (and possibly even disappears) when there is silence and no input to the phone.

Any Ideas?
                          +1!

Sounds like the EXACT issue we are having at our latest install. I have not tested calls within the site yet but site to site is causing issues. The pops and cracks only happen when we speak otherwise they are pretty much not there. The IT admin is no the phone most of the day (on speaker of course) and this is causing him much grief!

When the far end picks up the handset things get considerably better...I cannot say if they completely go away since neither side will hold the handset very long...

Anyway, I pulled some WAN reports and the call that lasted 3.5 HOURS (yes hours!) had 1ms jitter and NO packet loss.

We are on the latest build of 9.1 (14.21.4905.0)

Thoughts?????

Comment

We finally narrowed this issue down to one of too much gain on the side tone. This was resolved by adjusting the audio of the phone in the config file, and then testing until we had it turned down far enough. Let me know if you need some help on getting the audio set. There are some other threads on the forum that help some but I do not know if anyone covers it entirely.

Comment

Thanks Ben,

I have not messed with the config files for audio since early the 6.1 days but I am sure I can make it happen...you wouldn't happen to have the "magic" value on hand would you?

I'll get working on it now!

Thanks again,

Comment

Working...
                              X