Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Server

We are moving server rooms and I'm having trouble moving our ShoreTel server. When I move it to our new server room, the call manager software will not work. The way it is set now is it is connected into the wall in what we have labeld as A23. That connects into our ProCurve switches which is where the VLAN is configured. My question is, is there somewhere in the configuration of ShoreTel that says it's connected through A23? When I move it and connect it through C5, it doesn't work.

A23 and C5 are just the identifiers we use on the wall plates, but I thought I'd provide them to explain it a little better. Any help would be appreciated.

Ports

A23 and C5 most likely are going into different ports/switches/vlans.

just make sure that c5 plugs into the exact same port on the switch that a23 used to, and you wont have any problems.

you will need a network guy to go into the switches and check vlans, etc.

Comment

Thanks eazeaz. The VLAN is configured for port 1 on the switch and I did try putting C5 into port 1, but it didn't work. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but where it's located right now(A23) it's connected directly to the wall, which connects directly to the ProCurve. In the new server room(C5), it connects to a 16 port switch, which connects into the wall, which connects directly to the ProCurve. Is it possible that the switch in the middle of the server and ProCurve is what's screwing it up?

Thanks for your help.
      Last edited by jvetter; 01-30-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

C5

If you put C5 directly into the same port as A23 used to be in, then i would suspect you have a bad drop/cable.

cable is cable, and if it goes to the same place directly (nothing inbetween) the server has no idea that it is "different".

do you have a cat5 tester?

Comment

Originally posted by eazeaz View Post
          If you put C5 directly into the same port as A23 used to be in, then i would suspect you have a bad drop/cable.

cable is cable, and if it goes to the same place directly (nothing inbetween) the server has no idea that it is "different".

do you have a cat5 tester?
          But is it possible that the connection going from the server to the 16 port switch, then to the ProCurve could be messing it up? I realize your point, but in the new server room, there is a 16 port switch between the server and the ProCurve. Int the old server room it's directly connected.

Thanks.

Comment

switch

take it out of the middle and see!

a cat 5 coupler is all you need.

it should not cause you a problem, but definately could. Removing it from the middle will give you your answer.

it is also possible that your server is hard locked at 1000/full and the new switch in the middle only supports 100/full.

can you ping anything?

Comment

My guess is that yes, that switch is causing the problem (either doesn't support VLAN's or it is not configured properly). I don't know how your VLAN's are configured, but the port that uplinks to that switch on the ProCurve should be setup as a trunk port on both the 16 port switch and the ProCurve.

Ideally, your server would be on a port untagged for the voice VLAN, and the other ports on the 16 port switch would be either trunked (for phones and computers) or untagged for Data (servers or just computers). Hope that helps!

Mark A. Soho
              Archer Technology Group, Inc.
              Mark Soho
              Technology Engineer
              ARCHER Technology Group
              www.archertechgroup.com

Bakersfield, CA Office (HQ) - 661-847-1200
              Los Angeles, CA Office - 310-916-0020

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll have to give that a shot over the weekend. I'll try connecting it without the 16 port switch first and see if that does the trick. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                X