Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Restructuring, DHCP and QoS

I'm currently planning a new IP addressing scheme for my network.

Right now, my network is segregated into two subnets: 192.168.25.x/24 and 192.168.1.x/24 and they're joined by a L3 switch (Nortel Baystack 5510)

The 25.x network is the Shoretel phone network and the 1.x is everything else (servers, computers, etc).

My plan is to move to a 10.x.y.z /16 network where x = site, y = device type, z = node.
    The X octet will be separate subnets to divide the network by site.

Anyways, I have two questions:
    1) I want to use vendor classes to have separate DHCP scopes for the Phones and computers. So what's the vendor class identifier (VCI) for Shoretel 230 phones?

2) What's the best practice for using QoS when the phone system is on the same network as everything else? QoS is not currently enabled on either the 25.x or 1.x networks, but that makes sense since there's really no need for packet prioritization when there's nothing to compete for priority and our incoming/outgoing T1s are analog. So if QoS is needed when everything is mixed together, do the workstations need to have QoS enabled and configured or is it something that I can just enable on the switches and routers?

Thanks!

No vendor Class support...

http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...dor-class.html

Possible workaround...

http://www.shoretelforums.com/forums...ia-script.html

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      Wow. I was waiting for something to totally ruin my "neat and tidy" restructuring plans and BAM! here it is.

This is incredibly frustrating to say the least. I mean, c'mon, it make so much sense that an organization would want to have different scopes for their phones versus their computers/other devices and vendor classes are perfect. But I get the feeling that I'm preaching to the choir.

Sigh. Anyways, any word on the QoS?

Comment

how about using 802.1q tagging on the phones to put them in a separate network? takes a little time to set it up on the dhcp server(s) but then its pretty smooth.

on the QoS side i wouldn't do it on workstations or even on the switches if you have a well designed LAN but as soon as you hit a low speed link you gotta run QoS.

end $.02

Comment

teh answer is to use VLAN tagging as Matt mentioned. Also, you need QOS on your WAN and LAN. Speaking from experience you will find that the QOS scheme does more for shoretel than just prioritize traffic. I didnt see a need for it either until I put it on my LAN's. It cleared up alot of problems that didnt really point to congested network. In fact I have one office that has a totally seperate network for the voice, seperate T1 and equipment. Nothing but voice, when I put QOS on the LAN suddenly everything cleared up.

Comment

I agree with Matt. Use 802.1q VLAN tagging and then you can have a different subnet for your Shoretel phones. That's what we do. I have an entire subnet that is nothing but Shoretel equipment, and we use DHCP exclusively for all user end points.

Comment

vendor Class with DHCP

We are also stymied by the vendor class issue. Our DHCP server requires the DHCP client to identify its vndor class before it will send the Option 156 script - identifying the FTP server, VLAN ID and turning on tagging.

Other than the scripts posted below, which require inputting the MAC addresses, or manually configuring phones, has anyone come up with a work around?

Comment

I realize this is old now, but:

At least as of 9.2, [70] Vendor Class = "ShoreTel IP Phone"

Comment

Working...
                X