Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing using DNIS

Have a customer that has a PRI and wants to be able to take the CallerID and route callers to a defined destination. (DNIS?)

Example: All calls from 336-745-XXXX to go to MaryLou at ext 332, or a WG, 804-836-XXXX and so on likewise.

Any ideas? Of course the obvious is Professional Services at $3600 minimum. Any body know a work around or a 3rd party app that doesn't require rocket surgery?

Very simple

in the DNIS Map for your trunk group

Incert the XXXX for expected digits, the next field you can put in the entire number or ABC Company. Next field choose the destination ext you wish that call to be routed too. Add and Save

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Have a customer that has a PRI and wants to be able to take the CallerID and route callers to a defined destination. (DNIS?)

Example: All calls from 336-745-XXXX to go to MaryLou at ext 332, or a WG, 804-836-XXXX and so on likewise.

Any ideas? Of course the obvious is Professional Services at $3600 minimum. Any body know a work around or a 3rd party app that doesn't require rocket surgery?
    BTW I am far cheaper then Pro Services

Comment

I am sure of that!

What you explained makes sense to me! I am sure that you are less costly! Out fishing until Monday. What is a good time of day to have a real time conversation some time next week. Have a project I'd like to see if you can help me here from there.

Comment

I tried this and it didn't work for me. Anything else I need to do? I have multiple entries in my DNIS but they are all numbers from my PRI. I tried to input my cell number xxxxxxx then point it to my extension.

Comment

DNIS will only work from a trunk that is part of the system.
          Randy Wensmann
          [email protected]
          (408) 385-3485
          www.btxchange.com

Comment

Originally posted by phoneguy View Post
            I tried this and it didn't work for me. Anything else I need to do? I have multiple entries in my DNIS but they are all numbers from my PRI. I tried to input my cell number xxxxxxx then point it to my extension.
            and [email protected]

Lets say you have a 800 number as 800-555-1234 pointed to your BTN of your PRI trunk

IN your Trunk Group DNIS number, you will add 1234 as the expected digits
            in the Dialed Digits you can add ABC company, the entire number or whatever.

The destination will be any Physical extension or OSE
            This is the general use of DNIS on Shoretel

You can, if you know the Incoming CID (Aka Your Cell Phone) (Caveat Must be the same expected number of your Trunk group) so this means if your trunk group is 4 digit you will add the las for digits. The issue with this is you are taking a huge risk at sending calls to the wrong ext.

Example
            Say your Cell is 555-555-1234, your pri is expecting 4 digits so you use 1234 as the DNIS map to a specific ext. Now another call comes in My Cell which is 444-444-1234
            The DNIS is expecting 1234 I think you see the issue.

A suggestion for the enhancement on this would to ask ShoreTel to make a true DNIS path meaning any digit presented can be used no matter if it is 3 or 10 incoming it would be based on incoming CID. So the Proverbial How to block numbers from ringing in would be fixed as well. Block 444-444-1234 by adding it to the DNIS map, and send it to a AA that has zero time out and only option is hangup :chinese:
            Last edited by Jlorenz; 08-23-2008, 09:29 AM.

Comment

We use DNIS for a dedicated fax lines into a fax server it works great. Just remember to backup that fax server config its a pain to rebuild. :hang:

Comment

I have done everything you suggested it didn't work. We receive 7 digits from my CO so i put in 1234567 as my expected digits. Pointed it to my extension, and nothing. Only rings the hunt group associated with the number I am calling (456-7890) Let me see if I am understanding this. I go to my PRI Trunk group and then to DNIS. Add a DNIS entry of my cell phone of 1234567. Point it at an extension. Then What???? Is it watching for that incoming number and routing it?

Comment

Dnis

I don't think DNIS is supposed to be used to route calls based on the caller id/caller. It is designed to look at the number being called and route based on that.

It mostly is used for redirecting calls to fax servers, if an employee leaves and you want to forward his calls to another number, etc.

Comment

Hence the name:
                    (D)ialed
                    (N)umber
                    (I)nformation
                    (S)ervice

Comment

I agree that this is not the function of DNIS. I placed it in "( )" when I posted it perhaps I should have followed it with a "?".
                      No one has commented on a real way to make CID routing work - even with a third party app.
                      I find this odd because on the legacy side of the world we can buy a KSU for $99 and add $120 phones to it that will perform this function and has the ability to route up to 600 entries.
                      Now the customer rightfully questions why they should spend $11K and not retain that feature.

Comment

you could sell them contact center and create an ivr script that routes them based on caller ID. a "bit" more $ though....

Comment

You can route to an extension based on CallerID with the Contact Center.

Are you saying there is a way to route an inbound call based on CallerID not the number dialed with the basic ShoreTel system? That would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by Contractor View Post
                            You can route to an extension based on CallerID with the Contact Center.

Are you saying there is a way to route an inbound call based on CallerID not the number dialed with the basic ShoreTel system? That would be great!
                            Yes Technically lets say your expecting 10 digits form the Carrier
                            Now you have an 800 number point to your BTN make it two 800 #'s

in DNIS for that PRI you can plave 800 555 1234 in the expected digits In the Dialed field you can place ABC Company and the distination can be any ext or OSE

The Second 800 number would be 800 123-5555 and that is XYZ comapny

Thes ABC and XYZ will be the display the person sees on the phone.
                            You must ADD then Save after you created this

This can be done with Cells as well ir any Known 10 DIGIT ANI that is known.

Here is the Caveat

If your PRI is 3, 4 or 7digits Etc Etc you governed by those digits

Lets use 4 digits
                            Your cell is 555-123-1234

IN DNIS you would Map 1234 as expected dialed is whatever you wish and then point it to whom you want.

The problem is any number coming in with 1234 will route to that destination

I hope that helps explains it for you

Comment

jlorenz,

I STILL don't think you gave an answer to the question he asked!

He wants to route a call to a different extension based on the caller ID of the incoming call. You've described what appears to be just a very complicated use of the DID dialed for the inbound call. It is NOT anything that takes action on the basis of the Caller ID of the inbound call.

Sorry! It doesn't look to me like what he wants is possible without ShoreTel 9 or some sort of expensive add-on..

Comment

Working...
                              X