Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Assignment - Putting callers on hold

We have found something that I think seems odd, but I am sure has a purpose. We have a user set up with External Assignment enabled, they are at their home using the system as designed. When they get an incoming call and need to put the caller on hold, they are getting a continous tone in their handset the entire time the caller stays on hold. This tone doen't interfere with any functionality but it can get annoying. If this is some sort of "feature" can someone explain the purpose? If it is not intentional does anyone have experience with this or any thoughts on it?

We are on 7.5 Build 12.14.1806.0 if that helps any.

Originally posted by jmccumber View Post
    We have found something that I think seems odd, but I am sure has a purpose. We have a user set up with External Assignment enabled, they are at their home using the system as designed. When they get an incoming call and need to put the caller on hold, they are getting a continous tone in their handset the entire time the caller stays on hold. This tone doen't interfere with any functionality but it can get annoying. If this is some sort of "feature" can someone explain the purpose? If it is not intentional does anyone have experience with this or any thoughts on it?

We are on 7.5 Build 12.14.1806.0 if that helps any.
    First I would suggest an Upgrade, 1806 is a few builds behind. I have never heard of this particular issue you describe.

Question is How are they placing the call on Hold?
    PCM?
    Phones Hold Button?
    Or ?

Comment

They are using the PCM because they are at home and away from their 560.

Are there known issues with this build, we are pretty stable and happy for the most part? At least we think we are, there may be things we are just dealing with not knowing any better. There are several features we are looking forward to ST 8 for but that will be a while.

Comment

They are using the PCM because they are at home and away from their 560.

Are there known issues with this build, we are pretty stable and happy for the most part? At least we think we are, there may be things we are just dealing with not knowing any better. There are several features we are looking forward to ST 8 for but that will be a while.
        Upgrading is just an option I tossed out, personally unless there are catastrophic issue causing you not to upgrade it is best to be on the latest stable build. Even though you do not see a specific bug listed, many times it corrects issues.

Back to your issue

Who is getting the Tone, the calling party or ?
        How are they placing on Hold, through PCM?

Comment

The tone actually is on the home phone of the ShoreTel External Assignment user. The caller does not hear anything,not even MOH. We are just using the menu bar 'hold' button on the PCM.

It almost sounds like maybe it is a reminder tone but it is not just a ring as it is in the office, but a continuous tone.

Comment

The tone actually is on the home phone of the ShoreTel External Assignment user. The caller does not hear anything,not even MOH. We are just using the menu bar 'hold' button on the PCM.

It almost sounds like maybe it is a reminder tone but it is not just a ring as it is in the office, but a continuous tone.
            What if they use there Cell Phone?

I do not think it is a reminder tone, I have not heard of this as I stated. Are they mistaking Battery Humm from the Analog Home phone?

In fact what SG is this and what type of lines POTS or PRI

Comment

It actually occurs whether the Externally assigned user is on a cell phone or a home phone. We even tested inside the office using a nearby Avaya phone and the each time the Externally assigned user hears this tone.

We are using Shoregear 120's. Our ShoreTel is tied to an Avaya S8700 via 3 PRI's using Shoregear T1 gateways. All of the external trunking to the PSTN is done over PRI's on the Avaya.

Comment

It actually occurs whether the Externally assigned user is on a cell phone or a home phone. We even tested inside the office using a nearby Avaya phone and the each time the Externally assigned user hears this tone.

We are using Shoregear 120's. Our ShoreTel is tied to an Avaya S8700 via 3 PRI's using Shoregear T1 gateways. All of the external trunking to the PSTN is done over PRI's on the Avaya.
                Ahhhhh

Can you test this directly through the ShoreTel ?

If not then your going to need to have someone log in to the shoretel and do a record to file at the PRI level on the shoretel. This will be the determining factor of who is causing the humm

Comment

I just tried this at home, but on 7.0, and I hear the same tone. I believe it is just a dialtone, because you get this same tone whether you put the caller on hold, or just hang up the call (via the PCM). In either case, you can then dial another number or extension from the phone.

If you turn on handsfree mode, you won't hear the tone.

Gary

Comment

I hate to ask the obvious, but do you have handsfree enabled?

Comment

Originally posted by gberkemeyer View Post
                      I just tried this at home, but on 7.0, and I hear the same tone. I believe it is just a dialtone, because you get this same tone whether you put the caller on hold, or just hang up the call (via the PCM). In either case, you can then dial another number or extension from the phone.

If you turn on handsfree mode, you won't hear the tone.

Gary
                      That certainly sounds like a functional bug, it should be reported to TAC

Comment

I would not say its a bug....Turn handsfree on, otherwise you will get the tones.

Comment

Thank you, that does indeed get rid of the tone and does not appear to have any negative affect on the capabilities of the user. I am still at a loss as to why this happens and even why the hands free mode 'fixes' it. But I am just happy to have something to tell the user to get rid of it. Thanks Again.

Comment

Think of it like this, the user was in the office, sitting at their phone and using PCM. If they answered a call using pcm and the call went to speaker, handset, or headset. If you do not have handsfree enabled, when the user uses PCM to put the caller on hold you will hear intercom dialtone. This is the reality of the system. This is how it should and does work. So, when you have a user at home, think of it as an extension to their headset cord. When a call comes in, the phone system makes a call to your house phone for you to get the call. When you put a caller on hold, your still connected to the phone system via intercom dialtone. If you would rather not hear the intercom dialtone, you will need to tunr on handsfree.

Comment

Its a functional bug

Comment

Working...
                              X