Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bug in change of Server IP in V.8.0 CR - Found a solution

    Just an FYI for everyone in case you have this problem in the future. I followed Shoretel's procedure for changing an IP address on a test v.8.0 Candidate Release (CR) version of the server and it didn't work. I was moving it from our data VLAN to our Voice VLAN where all the rest of the switches and phones already were, but things didn't go well.

    It was very odd, whenever the services would startup on the server, the phones would all of the sudden get updated with their call handling mode, etc. but after that, things just didn't work. The personal call manager would NOT control the phone, wouldn't get updated, and on and on, problem after problem. It was like communication was one-way after the server was up, basically from the devices to the server where it would update the various fields on the server, but then nothing back to the devices.

    I suspected a problem with the change in IP address when on the server it would not respond after changing the IP address in the director. I changed the IP address there first and then was going to change the IP address on the NIC. Problem is, the server pegged with 100% CPU utilization immediately after changing the IP address in the director and never came back. I was able to SLOWLY change the IP address of the NIC (took about an hour of incredibly slow response time) and then reboot the server. When it came back up, things just weren't right.

    Long story short, I browsed the MySQL database to see if the IP changed in their correctly, and it appears to (in the one spot I was able to find an IP address for the server!) My only next guess was either a local configuration file or a register. I couldn't find a file... BUT... I did find a registry entry that DID NOT GET UPDATED WITH THE NEW IP ADDRESS!!!

    So, here's the issue. The REG_SZ value of HQServerAddress located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Shoreline Teleworks doesn't seem to get updated with the correct IP address. I changed this IP address to my new server IP address via regedit, rebooted, and now everything works like a charm again.

    I'm not sure if this is just an 8.0 CR bug or not, but figured I better post this in case anyone else experiences this issue.
    Last edited by Rob Bush; 02-20-2009, 10:26 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Rob Bush View Post
    Just an FYI for everyone in case you have this problem in the future. I followed Shoretel's procedure for changing an IP address on a test v.8.0 Candidate Release (CR) version of the server and it didn't work. I was moving it from our data VLAN to our Voice VLAN where all the rest of the switches and phones already were, but things didn't go well.

    It was very odd, whenever the services would startup on the server, the phones would all of the sudden get updated with their call handling mode, etc. but after that, things just didn't work. The personal call manager would NOT control the phone, wouldn't get updated, and on and on, problem after problem. It was like communication was one-way after the server was up, basically from the devices to the server where it would update the various fields on the server, but then nothing back to the devices.

    I suspected a problem with the change in IP address when on the server it would not respond after changing the IP address in the director. I changed the IP address there first and then was going to change the IP address on the NIC. Problem is, the server pegged with 100% CPU utilization immediately after changing the IP address in the director and never came back. I was able to SLOWLY change the IP address of the NIC (took about an hour of incredibly slow response time) and then reboot the server. When it came back up, things just weren't right.

    Long story short, I browsed the MySQL database to see if the IP changed in their correctly, and it appears to (in the one spot I was able to find an IP address for the server!) My only next guess was either a local configuration file or a register. I couldn't find a file... BUT... I didn't find a registry entry that DID NOT GET UPDATED WITH THE NEW IP ADDRESS!!!

    So, here's the issue. The REG_SZ value of HQServerAddress located in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Shoreline Teleworks doesn't seem to get updated with the correct IP address. I changed this IP address to my new server IP address via regedit, rebooted, and now everything works like a charm again.

    I'm not sure if this is just an 8.0 CR bug or not, but figured I better post this in case anyone else experiences this issue.
    Rob
    Good Find, but it is not a bug but a procedural update for ST8 for this, perhaps you can submit that as a FAQ as well as report this to TAC for an Update Good find

    Comment


    • #3
      Rob, thank you very much. This bug appeared when we needed to change the IP scheme of our install due to a networking issue this week, and our installer was STUMPED. Your solution fixed it as well.

      Build 13.9.5704.0

      Comment


      • #4
        This just fixed my problem too, I was changing out a physical server though. I had a temp IP assigned to it in the lab while building.

        Great post all is happy!

        Thank you

        Comment


        • #5
          Mr. Bush, you are the man!

          Shoreline Teleworks owes you a seat on the board of directors for this awesome post!

          You just ended 8 hours of complete agony. Thank You.

          Comment

          Working...
          X