Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to ShoreTelForums.com

Welcome to ShoreTelForums.com!

This site was created as a place to share stories, tips, and troubleshooting help with ShoreTel/Mitel systems. ShoreTel/Mitel is obviously the MOST exciting VoiP platform on the market right now, and we realized there was no centralized place to discuss this platform, but now there is. Please feel free to join and share your experiences.

Please Note: This site IS NOT owned, funded, or managed by ShoreTel/Mitel, Inc. although you may find ShoreTel/Mitel employees sharing there experiences and expertise. If you would like more information on ShoreTel/Mitel systems, contact BTX at [email protected]

As always please support the advertisers that help support our site.

Thank You,
BTX
See more
See less
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling my stock

After the battering taken as a stock holder there is a bright spot---it is announced that John Combs is leaving ShoreTel. The stock slightly spiked a nickle or so.
    Guess this is about as high as it is going. Losing about 40 cents on the dollar. Poorest managed company I have ever dealt with.
    Cisco didn't take the bait, did they John?

I think the stock is starting to actually look good now

They upped their guidance. They have held their own against Cisco and Avaya and now are included on almost every evaluation of a phone system (the days are gone when customers asked "who is shoretel?"). Hold your stock unless you need the money to go turkey hunting.. you'll be glad you did. I like what they are doing.

Comment

Well, its not the POOREST managed company that I know...

Comment

Nor-who? Poorly managed? They are one of the only companies in this industry on a growth trend, rather than barely holding their ground or losing market share.

Comment

ShoreTel has a great product, but it needs a better management philosophy and friendlier policies.
          When I started selling ShoreTel about six years ago, it was a fairly dealer friendly company that honestly seemed to care about their dealers and customers. In the last couple of years, it's started to feel like it's a division of Cisco - at least to me.
          The quote tool is the worst I've ever worked with, second only to the diskettes Ingram Micro used to mail me in the early 1990's. And the 'requirements' that have to be met at every level, with inflexible contraints? Decidedly unfriendly.
          Don't get me wrong, I know that as a business grows, it becomes less warm and fuzzy. But look at PAETEC - big, public ($2b/plus) and still very friendly and easy to navigate.
          Am I the only one who feels this way?

PS - I'm buying more stock in ShoreTel. Why? Because they are so much like Cisco, I see a takover coming on the horizon...

Comment

In my crystalball I predict a hostile takeover from a direct competitor within 5 years, then product sterilization...*coughavaya/nortelcough*

Comment

This company has hobbled its dealer network by making it highly territorial and very provincial and prevents new dealers from joining the network unless an old one in the sales territory dies off. Thereby limiting its customer base to those who can locate & tolerate the few dealers out there. Shoretel does not support common VOIP standards very closely either. It has made it almost impossible to connect Shoretel systems to SIP providers, like Fonality has. The Fonality products and their brethren Asterick, FreePBX make it a snap to connect to VOIP providers, as well as standards based hardware. I fear that this company is doomed and will go the way of many other long past dead companies such as Nortel, Lucent etc... or even worse could be like Apple and have a long drawn out and painful death at the hands of old ladies and school kids, while selling them mediocre products.

Comment

Ya because Apple is doing so terrible in the marketplace right now.....

Comment

Originally posted by catatonique View Post
                  This company has hobbled its dealer network by making it highly territorial and very provincial and prevents new dealers from joining the network unless an old one in the sales territory dies off. Thereby limiting its customer base to those who can locate & tolerate the few dealers out there. Shoretel does not support common VOIP standards very closely either. It has made it almost impossible to connect Shoretel systems to SIP providers, like Fonality has. The Fonality products and their brethren Asterick, FreePBX make it a snap to connect to VOIP providers, as well as standards based hardware. I fear that this company is doomed and will go the way of many other long past dead companies such as Nortel, Lucent etc... or even worse could be like Apple and have a long drawn out and painful death at the hands of old ladies and school kids, while selling them mediocre products.
                  Originally posted by mattjfox View Post
                  Ya because Apple is doing so terrible in the marketplace right now.....
                  Lucent is still strong outside the US, and Apple is doing VERY VERY WELL. Fonality on the other hand.. not so much. I hate the cloud based mentality they force you into, and they are using none standard Asterisk. They claim " We fixed all the bugs and are selling you a better version".. yah ok SIP standards.. what an oxymoron. $50 says fonality doesn't last 5 years..
                  Yes What shoretel needs is to have 100 shoretel dealers per potential customer.. Just like Cisco and Avaya..

Comment

Wishful thinking. If Avaya can keep their balance sheet from going under before 5 years is out it will be a miracle.

Comment

I owned one of the largest ShoreTel dealers and sold it to a public company. I lived through the changes, and I wasn't always happy, but I understood what was going on. The focus is different as a public company. Top line (revenue) must grow, therefore the distribution channel must grow as well. I accused them of signing up "anyone that could fog a mirror", but in reality the stock needed bigger numbers. The quote tool is terrible, but I'm not sure there was a better way to do it.

I also met Mr. Combs several times. Don't take shots at this man. He is one of the smartest people I've ever met. I called him and left a message, and he called me back within one hour! Timing wasn't the best with the economy and the market, but I think his team has done a great job in positioning their product in the top 3.

I'm not sure where ShoreTel goes from here. But I admire what they've done so far.

Comment

ShoreTel has great potential and is doing a pretty good job of moving from a small business that fills a niche to a major IP player. There are a lot of things that they could do better, but on the whole they are making great strides and when you talk to the product managers they are looking at all the right stuff, there are just so many potential avenues of growth that they cannot get them all done at once.

Yea alot of their tools (quote, TCO, project management, website program) need work, but those are things that a good vendor has been doing for other product lines for years now and should already have a process to pick up for ShoreTel too.

All in all there is a lot of potential if they stick to their guns and keep an eye on the kind of reliability in feature set and support that got them where they are now.

Comment

Shoretel needs to loosen up the distributor network some more, even if individual distribs feel heat. It will be better for the customers.

Comment

Working...
                          X