Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to ShoreTelForums.com

Welcome to ShoreTelForums.com!

This site was created as a place to share stories, tips, and troubleshooting help with ShoreTel/Mitel systems. ShoreTel/Mitel is obviously the MOST exciting VoiP platform on the market right now, and we realized there was no centralized place to discuss this platform, but now there is. Please feel free to join and share your experiences.

Please Note: This site IS NOT owned, funded, or managed by ShoreTel/Mitel, Inc. although you may find ShoreTel/Mitel employees sharing there experiences and expertise. If you would like more information on ShoreTel/Mitel systems, contact BTX at [email protected]

As always please support the advertisers that help support our site.

Thank You,
BTX
See more
See less
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SG-50 "Detected Looping Task"

    I have an SG-50 that I am trying to move to a different network switch with a different IP Address and gateway. It is also moving servers from our test server to our production HQ server. I consoled into the SG-50 and changed the IP Address, netmask, gateway, DNS, and managing server. All of this went fine. I reboot it and see that it saved the changes. Great. Then I notice that it is still pointing to the old test server as the controlling server (not sure of the different between managing server and controlling server).

    I log into the test server Director to delete the switch from platform equipment thinking that was what was holding it up. Director fights me on deleting it. I end up having to change the MAC Address and IP Address on the switch settings in Director in order to release this device. Then I add it to our production server with the new IP Address and all. It says it cannot find the equipment when I have Director search for it. At this point they can ping each other, Director just cannot locate the switch to add it.

    I reboot the SG-50 and all of a sudden start getting an error at the end of its boot cycle. It tells me Detected Looping Task (tMS command found in 120 of 120 tasks). I have no idea what this means and cannot find anything online about it. The kicker is that I cannot get past this to log in and make more changes. It is stuck there. I cannot telnet into it from HQ to burnflash it, it can't be pinged, and it gives the same error every time it boots now. I unplugged the ethernet cables from it to boot just with power, no network at all. It still gives the same error. I am not sure what to do from here.

  • #2
    The controlling service is pushed to the switch from what the director knows is the controlling server. These can be different based on your site and whether your DVM's have a database.

    If you can't change or delete the switch a resource or reservation is holding the switch. This shouldn't happen and sometimes their are user resources tied to switches that you can't see. if you can't see it in director you can see it in the database. Whole other topic

    Sounds like your SG50 has a bad segment in its cache. You will need to wipe its config and force a clear.

    This is what I would do:
    From a console session before a full switch boot: hit cancel when the option appears
    • Type: printenv (this will print out the values the switch has and needs.... so take a screenshot or write down the info)
    • Type: bootc clean (this will wipe the config and require you to manually enter all of your switches values)
    • Type: setenv ipaddr switch-ip-here
    • Type: setenv netmask subnet-ip-here
    • Type: setenv gatewayip gateway-ip-here
    • Type: setenv host server-ip-here
    • Type: setenv cntrlsrv server-ip-here
    • Type: setenv serverip server-ip-here
    • Type: saveenv
    • Type: boot
    Last edited by Lance; 02-13-2020, 02:03 PM.
    Lance Paddock
    BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
    1(800) 289-0299

    Comment


    • #3
      Mitel has a patch for this if you open a ticket with TAC. They gave me a file to upload in the tsk folder on the MItel HQ server. They also had me perform a boot clean like above but boot via FTP. I think the latest release that was released yesterday corrected this issue. I currently have 2 systems that I upgraded from 14.x to connect in the last 2 weeks that need to be upgraded already because of this issue. The release I had this issue on was 7600.0 release.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by dmk View Post
        Mitel has a patch for this if you open a ticket with TAC. They gave me a file to upload in the tsk folder on the MItel HQ server. They also had me perform a boot clean like above but boot via FTP. I think the latest release that was released yesterday corrected this issue.
        Yeah, my support vendor told me basically the same thing. I am hesitant to upgrade builds because we upgraded builds in October and we had A LOT of issues that following week.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Sounds like your SG50 has a bad segment in its cache. You will need to wipe its config and force a clear.

          This is what I would do:
          From a console session before a full switch boot: hit cancel when the option appears
          • Type: printenv (this will print out the values the switch has and needs.... so take a screenshot or write down the info)
          • Type: bootc clean (this will wipe the config and require you to manually enter all of your switches values)
          • Type: setenv ipaddr switch-ip-here
          • Type: setenv netmask subnet-ip-here
          • Type: setenv gatewayip gateway-ip-here
          • Type: bootc vxworks static flash
          • Type: saveenv
          • Type: boot

          I tried this and when it rebooted it told me this:

          {HQ Server IP Address}: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

          Then I tried to change the boot from flash to FTP like dmk suggested. After that it looked like it came up properly. It was only missing the server and DNS in the configuration.

          I added those and rebooted again and then it told me the following:

          FTP from server {HQ Server IP Address}; our IP Address is {Switch IP Address}
          Filename '/tsk/vxworks'.
          Load address: 0x4000000
          Loading: ftp: expected 230, received 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible., aborting


          Then it keeps retrying this and giving the exact same message.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NathanL View Post


            I tried this and when it rebooted it told me this:

            {HQ Server IP Address}: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

            Then I tried to change the boot from flash to FTP like dmk suggested. After that it looked like it came up properly. It was only missing the server and DNS in the configuration.

            I added those and rebooted again and then it told me the following:

            FTP from server {HQ Server IP Address}; our IP Address is {Switch IP Address}
            Filename '/tsk/vxworks'.
            Load address: 0x4000000
            Loading: ftp: expected 230, received 530 User cannot log in, home directory inaccessible., aborting


            Then it keeps retrying this and giving the exact same message.
            That is still a bad config when you get the trying and receiving with the wrong number it means that the loaded flash from the FTP is corrupt and needs to be wiped again. That is why I tend to point to flash before ftp. I also forgot to add the server ip in my initial post which I corrected.
            Last edited by Lance; 02-13-2020, 02:46 PM.
            Lance Paddock
            BTX | Business Telephone eXchange
            1(800) 289-0299

            Comment


            • #7
              I tried again with the other parameters you added. It went back to giving me the original error. At the end of the boot cycle it told me this:

              detected looping task (tMSCommand in 120 of 120 samples, 1 times)
              0x156e84: 0xfea1ac ()
              0xfea2c4: 0x61b14 ()
              0x61b14: 0x61c74 ()
              0x61d5c: 0x1f2d80 ()
              0x1f2ec8: 0x1f4c84 ()
              0x1f4ef8: 0x1fa178 ()
              0x1fa1f8: 0x1faadc ()
              0x1fae38: 0x623e4 ()
              0x62408: 0x61ed0 ()
              0x61f04: 0x233860 ()

              Comment


              • #8
                We just upgraded 1 of our customers that was having this issue to the latest MiVoice Connect 19.1-SP1 version 22.11.4900.0 and "Detect Looping Task" was corrected like TAC said it would be.

                Comment


                • #9
                  From what I have experienced in this situation, TAC last told me that it was a bug when upgrading to latest MiTel version from an older ShoreTel version. If the switch was not first on a HQ server that was on the latest 14.2 of ShoreTel BEFORE upgrading to the latest 19.1 MiTel, then this bug occurs.

                  If you don't have the option of setting an older SG switch onto a latest build of 14.2 first, then you could also upgrade the SG switch on the side using a Windows 7 32-bit machine turned into an FTP server, and once upgraded then put it onto the new MiTel server.

                  However, once this SG switch is in this state you must call TAC to put a patch onto the HQ server, and boot the SG switch into "FTP Boot" mode. TAC has said that this bug should get fixed on the next build release of MiTel.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X